Thursday, October 1, 2009

Variety Is Good


Like many of you, I sat through several hours of season preview coverage last night, and for the most part I was underwhelmed. The climax of the show is supposed to be the panelists making their Stanley Cup predictions, but there was nothing dramatic about any of the selections on either network. The so called "experts" didn't make any significant changes to last year's final standings, and all the familiar faces (Detroit, Pittsburgh, and San Jose) made countless appearances in the championship dance graphics. Sure many of them were also on the Philadelphia band-wagon, but it was almost silly when four straight TSN analysts predicted they would make the final. How about some variety people?!

I'm an odds man, and when it comes to picking the Stanley Cup finalist this early, I know one thing... they can't possibly ALL get it right. Sorry Flyers fans.

So how do I see the teams stacking up this year? Here are my predictions, by division. I have placed an asterisk next to the teams I believe will qualify for the post-season.

NORTHEAST
1. Boston*
2. Ottawa*
3. Toronto*
4. Buffalo
5. Montreal

ATLANTIC
1. Philadelphia*
2. Pittsburgh*
3. New York*
4. New Jersey
5. Long Island

SOUTHEAST
1. Washington*
2. Atlanta*
3. Carolina
4. Tampa Bay
5. Florida

CENTRAL
1. Chicago*
2. Detroit*
3. St. Louis*
4. Columbus
5. Nashville

NORTHWEST
1. Vancouver*
2. Calgary*
3. Minnesota
4. Edmonton
5. Colorado

PACIFIC
1. Anaheim*
2. San Jose*
3. Los Angeles*
4. Dallas
5. Phoenix

No comments: